Aspartame, just what is it ?
Aspartame is one of the most common artificial sweeteners in use today. It is sold under the brand names NutraSweet® and Equal®.
(40% of Aspartame) Aspartic Acid
(50% of Aspartame) Phenylalanine
(10% of Aspartame) Methanol
Aspartame is low-calorie (4kcal/g) and up to 200 times sweeter than sugar.
Aspartame is used in many foods and beverages because it’s about 200 times sweeter than sugar, so much less of it can be used to give the same level of sweetness. This, in turn, lowers the calories in the food or beverage.
The artificial sweetener aspartame, a dipeptide with the formula Asp-Phe-me, is produced using a cloned microorganism. A DNA which codes for a large stable peptide comprised of the repeating amino acid sequence (Asp-Phe)n is inserted into a cloning vehicle which in turn is introduced into a suitable host microorganism. The host microorganism is cultured and the large peptide containing the repeating Asp-Phe sequence is harvested therefrom. The free carboxyl group of the large peptide is benzylated and then hydrolysed to benzyl Asp-Phe dipeptides. This dipeptide is methylated and then debenzylated to form aspartame.
- Cloned microorganism – Genetically Modified Bacteria (E. coli)
- This well-fed ‘Cloned microorganism’ cultures defecate (poop) proteins that contain the aspartic acid-phenylalanine amino acid which is needed to create aspartame
- “…and the large peptide containing the repeating Asp-Phe sequence is harvested therefrom.” In other-words, lab assistants collect the bacteria’s feces (poop)
- The bacteria’s feces (poop) is then treated and includes a process called methylation (adding Methanol, a non-drinking form of alcohol to the protected dipeptide)
Aspartame is made by combining phenylalanine, which is naturally produced by bacteria, with another amino acid. Monsanto has genetically engineered the bacteria to make them produce more phenylalanine.
Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious, including seizures and death. A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report2 as part of aspartame dangers are:
|Muscle spasms||Weight gain||Rashes|
|Hearing loss||Heart palpitations||Breathing difficulties|
|Anxiety attacks||Slurred speech||Loss of taste|
- Diet Drinks
- Chewing Gum
- Flavoured Water
- Cooking Sauces
- Drinking Powders, such as Hot Chocolate
- Nutritional Bars
- Ice Creams, No Sugar
- Sweeteners, Canderal